Monday, March 15, 2010

Japanese Burp Rag Bonanza

Last fall I went to Japan on a work trip and this was right after we found out we were having a boy. Going to Japan and knowing that you're about to have a baby can be both good and bad. Good in the sense that you are going to see the cutest baby stuff in the world but bad in the sense that you could go bankrupt buying so much of it.

I tried to limit myself to stuff that would actually be useful and that didn't cost a whole lot. Something that met both those criteria and I ended up seeing everywhere was burp rags. Below is a sample of some of the gems I found along the trip.

These first 3 were from one of our favorite Japanese illustrators, Shinzi Katoh. The first one is part of the Disney collaboration he did. His shop in Sunshine City is a must see and is cute overload, I bought some other items for the baby room from there that I might post later.


I saw this retro Astro Boy towel at the Airport just before I left for super cheap.


This one I got at an outside vendor when we went to see a Sumo match.


I can't remember what this character is from, I bought it at this amazing Theater building.


Swimmer is another Japanese brand that has an endless array of cute, with various shops in Tokyo.



Another must see place in Tokyo if you have kids or are a kid at heart like us is Kiddy Land. Six floors of the most amazing toys and things you won't find anywhere else. I found this James Jarvis, probably my favorite illustrator, "King Ken" burp towel there and couldn't resist.






0 comments: